Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Google Maps

I played with Google maps for several days over the past weeks. I tried to move the marker for the library last week, but apparently I did something wrong as it was still not right today when I rechecked. Hopefully it was changed right this time.

Part 1 of the assignment - 1445 K St is the State Capital. I could see the cars along the street, but the only colors to see for sure were red, the others are light or dark. Hard to distinguish colors from a satelite. I like the street view better as it is easier for me to see where I am going.

Part 2 - Scribner Public Library worked and the marker was two blocks north of the actual library location. Most of the information was correct for the library. The director recently retired, so I added my name as director. I claimed the library and added hours and a description. We don 't have a website, but if we get one, I will make sure to add it to the business profile. I want to add a photo, but those are on a different computer, so I will leave that for a different day.

Part 3 - I use google maps when I travel around the state. I did not know all the features available. My son likes to play with the satelite feature and find Grandpa Cooper's farm in western Nebraska. I did not embed or create a map, don't know if that is something I will try later. It would be fun to use google maps during the summer reading program. May have to try that next year.

It was fun learning all the different features available with Google maps.

1 comment:

Allana said...

I just checked out the location of the library and I think it’s in the correct spot now. It looks like you also added the library hours and other additional information to the library’s listing. That’s great!

I like the idea of using Google Maps for summer reading. I bet the kids would have a lot of fun with it. If you decide to use I’d be interested in hearing how it works out.