Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Technology

I will agree with everyone else. Technology is great when it works. My day has been very frustrating because of technology. One of my other part time jobs is at a mini mart. The first couple of credit cards today would not swipe without going through a lot of extra steps (calling in to get an authorization number).
When I got to the library to work on items for our Tannenbaum Festival, I had to use four different computers before I got one to print. We replaced our server and are still finding things that did not move to the new one. Frustrating.
I know technology makes our days easier; I can do banking and shopping from my laptop while watching TV and texting my daughter. My children grew up with all this technology. They could not imagine living any other way.
I am dependent on technology as the next person. I don't like visiting my father-in-law in western Nebraska as there is no internet and crappy cell phone reception. At least Grandpa has cable now since he moved into town, which makes the kids happy. I have a motel along the interstate that I usually stop and check the email and such before we head to the boonies.
I am glad the Library Commission is offering these "things " so I can keep up with all the changing technology. At least I can keep updated on some of the new technology before they change again.

2 comments:

Michael Sauers said...

My parents don't have cable and my brother's kids are constantly confused by this. The older ones understand now but the four year-old doesn't. Recently my folks got a new TV and instantly the 4yo thought that maybe now he could watch his shows at their house.

A few years ago one niece insisted that she should be able to instantly see the picture on the back of the camera. Trouble was, my dad had a film camera.

Ah, the joys of youth ;-)

Daniel Vanderford said...

Technology seems to be an extension of youth. I'm not sure if my son has fingers or if his arms just end in a cell phone or nintendo or mp3 player.

They seem to be able to incorporate it into their daily lives and accept the inconsistencies of it with little harrassment.

I think the difference is we 30-40 somethings expect things to work all the time as they should and become frustrated when there are glitches. Youth shrug it off. Oh well. It will work next time.

Rememeber when the gurus touted that technology will bring a paperless society? I sure haven't seen it. If anything it wastes more paper. Now students' print off articles and webpages. Years ago they would have just checked out a book or magazine.

I am so excited, though, about the possibilities of nano-technology, especially in medical applications.

Imagine nano-bots that can be programmed to wipe out cancer cells or repair burned tissue. Awesome. It is almost Star Trekian in its possible applications.

When will I be able to transport to work? Or for that matter to the beach and out of this frozen wasteland? I can sense a Margaritaville lunch date. Where's my transporter badge?...